Do you love risotto? In my opinion, this mushroom risotto recipe made with delicious Farro, is a hearty, nutty meal either on it’s own or paired with your favorite protein like chicken. Farro risotto is really nutritious, much more forgiving than traditional rice risotto recipes, and offers a wonderful chewy texture that I absolutely love (think brown rice but even better!)
If you have bought one of our fabulous ‘Meals in Minutes’ for two, use the below recipe without adding the stock, herbs, salt or lemon as these are already included! If you enjoy this mushroom risotto recipe, please let us know with a review below and don’t forget to check out our other delicious recipes!
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 brown onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Handful of brown mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme – reserve some for plating
- 2/3 cups Farro
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese – keep half for plating
- 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup torn greens eg, silver beet/spinach
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Place the stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, then turn off.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and slightly caramelised.
- Increase the heat to high, add the mushrooms and sauté until soft. Add the thyme and stir for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the farro and cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the white wine to de-glaze the pan and cook over medium heat until the wine has been absorbed. Add the stock to the saucepan, stir to combine, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove the lid and cook stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes or until farro is tender but still slightly chewy.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the parmesan and lemon juice and stir through. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover, and allow the risotto to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the risotto garnished with fresh thyme leaves, and the remaining parmesan. Enjoy!